Baingan bharta is a traditional recipe made in North India, especially Punjab. Brinjal Bharta is made in many ways in India, but here we will make it after roasting it in fire and with Indian spices. After roasting in the fire and stuffing ginger and garlic inside the brinjal, it becomes tastier.
When I was about 10 years old, I didn’t like brinjal at all because my mother used to make a vegetable out of fresh brinjal from the garden. It was boring because of the abundance of brinjals. But my father used to make those brinjals more tasty and delicious. He simply used to take four brinjals from the garden, cut them into four pieces, fill them with ginger and garlic, keep rotating them in the fire, and remove them after about 10 minutes.
After removing the brinjal, he used to peel it and mash it. Then we mixed the mashed brinjal by making our own desi masala, which was wonderful, delicious, and very tasty to eat. I still remember the recipe that I am sharing.
How to make baingan bharta?
1-: To make brinjal bharta, fry the brinjal well. To roast brinjal well, grease the brinjal by applying oil to it with a brush or by hand. Due to this, the brinjal gets roasted easily, and it is also easy to remove the peel after roasting.
2 -: Roast brinjal on an open flame and fry it till it gets cooked. To roast the brinjal properly, keep turning it in between so that the brinjal gets cooked completely. Fry it directly on the open flame till it is cooked. It will take about 10 minutes to cook it on medium heat.
3 -: As soon as the brinjals are fried, remove them from the flame and check whether they are fully cooked or not by putting a spoon or knife in the middle. The spoon and knife should slide inside without any hindrance.if the knife or spoon easily enters the brinjal, then the brinjal is cooked.
4 -: Keep the brinjals aside to cool.
5 -: Peel off the burned skin of the brinjal. If the burnt skin is not coming off properly, then dip the brinjal in a bowl of water so that the peel will come off easily.
6 -: Mash the brinjals well in a bowl and keep aside.
7-: बैंगन का भरता बनाने के लिए हम मसाला तैयार कर लेंगे. मसाला बनाने के लिए सबसे पहले एक पैन में तेल गर्म करें। मैं हमेशा घर का बना सरसों का तेल इस्तेमाल करता हूं।
8 -: After the oil hot , add cumin seeds.
9 -: As soon as the cumin starts crackling, add the chopped onions.
10 -: Fry the onions on a medium flame for 2–3 minutes or till they turn golden brown.
11 -: Add grated or chopped ginger.
12 -: Add grated or chopped garlic.
13 -: Add chopped green chilles.
14 -: Fry everything until the raw smell goes away.
15 -: Add tomatoes.
16 -: Add coriander powder.
17 -: Add chillies powder.(as per your taste)
18 -: Add amchur powder and turmeric (haldi) powder.
19-: Add the mashed brinjal.
20-: Add garam masala.
21-: Add salt as per taste.
22-: Mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
23-: Now Baingan bharta is ready.
24-: Garnished with coriander leaves.
25-: Now you can serve baingan bharta with roti,plain paratha, and rice.
Recipe Card -:
- 4 Brinjal. (500 gm brinjal/eggplant)
- 2 tbsp Oil.
- 2 Medium chopped onion.
- 2 Medium chopped tomatoes.
- 1 tbsp Chopped ginger (adrak)
- 1 tbsp Chopped garlic. (lahsun)
- 1 tbsp Chopped green cillies.
- 1 tbsp Cumin.
- 1 tbsp Coriandar powder.
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric (haldi) powder.
- 1 tbsp Garam masala.
- 1/2 tbsp Mango (aamchur) powder.
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp Chopped coriandar leaves.
- To make brinjal bharta, first grease the brinjal with oil and keep it on the fire. Keep turning the brinjal in between so that it cooks well. Fry the brinjals till they become soft. After roasting, keep the brinjals aside to cool.
- Cut the brinjal and mash it well after removing the peels.
- Heat the oil/ghee in a pan and add cumin.
- When the cumin starts crackling, add the onion and fry on medium heat for 1 minute. Add chopped ginger, chopped garlic, and chopped green chilies. And fry for some time on medium flame till the raw smell goes away.
- Add the tomatoes, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and mango powder, and mix well. Cook on a medium flame for 3–4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the roasted and mashed brinjals, garam masala, and salt to taste, mix well, and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Brinjal bharta is cooked. Turn off the stove and take the pan down.
- Garnish the brinjal bharta nicely with coriander leaves.
- Brinjal bharta is ready; you can serve it with roti, plain paratha, or all types of paratha.